We were delighted to learn this week that we have been invited by Big Lottery Silver Dreams Fund to submit a full application for the roll out funding. The Silver Dreams Fund received 35 strong entries, far more than they could shortlist, so we have done really well to get this far.
The Panel have selected 12 projects to take to this next stage, and our project was selected as one of those that best demonstrated the strongest fit with the challenge and themes, with strong need to scale up or replicate our pilot across England, and real successes from our pilot in East London. Over the forthcoming weeks and months we will be working with all of our potential partners on our plans, and in November we will be submitting the full application. If we are successful at that stage, then we will be 1 of up to 5 projects who will receive around £1 million to roll out their projects across England.
Our Director, Danielle Hamm, shares her delight about the news “This is so exciting for us and our potential partners. If we are successful at the next stage then we will be able to replicate our pilot project in East London across England, and help thousands of older people plan for, and have their wishes respected at, the end of their life”.
Dying is a transition in everyone’s life. It is challenging because of fear of losing control and dignity, the emotional legacy for families, and cultural taboos in talking about death. Lack of awareness that everyone has end-of-life rights and choices compound these challenges. Our flagships plans intend to address these challenges by
- running events and developing materials which meet the needs of isolated elders and older communities within England, for whom end-of-life discussions and planning may not be possible because of cultural, language or accessibility barriers
- encouraging older people across England to train as community end-of-life rights champions so they can support their peers
- providing in at least 9 areas individualised face to face support to older people wishing to complete an Advance Decision or Health & Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney
- setting up a national end-of-life rights network, which has older people champions as members
- providing accredited training courses on end-of-life rights, including train the trainer course, in-depth end-of-life rights course and an awareness raising session
For more information on our plans and/or to get involved yourself please contact our Project Development Manager at email@example.com