New website

You can view a new version of our website. You will still be able to go back to the current page.

How do I complain about the NHS?

You are here: Home » How can I complain about a treatment or care I have received » How do I complain about the NHS?

To make a complaint there are several steps you need to go through:


Stage 1

First you should contact the service that provides your care, for example a hospital or GP practice.  You can do this by speaking to a member of staff – for example, a doctor or nurse in hospital, or the Practice Manager of a GP surgery.

If you do not want to contact the service directly you can complain to the NHS organisation that pays for the service instead. Services like GPs and dentists tend to be paid for, or ‘commissioned’ by NHS England. Services like hospital care and community nursing are usually commissioned by your local Clinical Commissioning Group.

They should act quickly to resolve the issue and take action to stop it happening again.


Stage 2

If you are not happy with the response you receive, you can take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman.

Making a complaint can be difficult. For help and support contact The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), The Patients Association, or Citizens Advice.

The Care Quality Commission provides a leaflet on how to complain about a health or social care service.